Dear Bowling Community,
The past month has been incredibly challenging for Australians and the global community. The impacts of COVID-19 have been devastating for business, the community and of course sport. TBA hopes that you and your family are safe and well during these uncertain times. The TBA Board and Management thought it was timely to provide an update on the position of your sport.
Since the Government announcement
to shut down non-essential businesses, which sadly for us included our bowling
centres, TBA has taken significant steps to ensure the safety and well-being of
our bowlers and staff, as well as protect the future of our sport. These
steps include: –
- Cancellation of all international teams to attend World and Asian Championships in 2020 along with all National Championships
- Cancellation or postponement of Ranked Events until 30th June (subject to ongoing review)
- Increased the frequency of Board Meetings from quarterly to monthly
- Maintained regular contact with Zone Bowling and Independent Bowling Centres Australia (IBCA)
- Developed a business continuity plan
- Ceased all non-essential expenditure
- Reduced the working week of TBA staff by one day per week per employee, with the office now closed on Fridays (to be reviewed post 30 June)
- All TBA staff are now working from home
Thanks to TBA’s strong governance and financial management over past years, we are in a good financial position to manage the challenges in the short term. However there are many risks and challenges to navigate and financial sustainability will remain a key focus for your Board.
Currently our priority is the health and well-being of our bowlers, staff, centre owners and their staff, our State Associations and volunteers, our broader community and of course our families and friends. We encourage you to reach out to others in the bowling community and the community more broadly as we collectively manage these difficult times.
As Australia continues to flatten the curve and governments consider lifting some restrictions, TBA is working closely with the bowling industry, State and Federal governments to ensure that our sport can resume as soon as possible with the number one priority – keeping bowlers and the community safe.
In recent days, the Government in partnership with leading medical organisations have recently launched the COVIDSafe App to help keep you, your family and your community safe from further spread of coronavirus through early notification of possible exposure. Whilst TBA supports initiatives that enable a safe return to sport, we respect this is an individual decision for you and your family.
We have every confidence that TBA is well placed to manage through COVID-19 and that we will continue to provide support for our bowlers, state associations and centre owners; deliver exciting National Championships; provide quality programs through our NTS; and maintain strong governance and financial management.
Over the coming weeks we will provide further updates, but in the meantime, please look after yourself and stay safe.